Friday, October 27, 2017

Friday 10/27/2017 - Wrightsville Beach to Carolina Beach State Park Marina

It was a great night last night with almost no wind at the anchorage.  However, we were up fairly early since our plan was to find a place to overnight for the next two nights.  Weather is on the way and we still have plenty of time to kill.  We were planning on anchoring or taking a mooring off Carolina Beach but the water there is deep and we had not made a reservation for a mooring.  The reviews for the State Park Marina were great and Al and Lois had stayed there so I called them.  They had two slips left so I reserved one and we were on our way.  The ICW in this area is more typical of what I remember - with inlets every few miles, current changing all the time, shoaling hazards, etc.  But it was a nice motor down the Waterway.  We got to the State Park just after 11am. What a beautiful marina in a beautiful setting.  It is small but the floating docks are in great shape.  The marina office and facilities are really nice too.  Thanks to Al Capron for the great tip.

Phil and I were running a little low on a few grocery items so we hiked the mile and a half to the local Food Lion.  We disagreed about the route to take on the way back so we split up.  I took the road and he took the hiking trail.  For the first time in 50+ years, I stuck my thumb out on the road back to the marina and got picked up by a really nice young couple who were taking their dog to the park for a walk.  I sat in the back of their pickup truck.  When we passed Phil, I yelled to him and waved and they stopped for him as well.  I think Phil got a charge out of the ride. I was just happy to not have to lug our groceries all the way back to the boat.

True Blue in her slip at Carolina Beach State Park Marina


3 comments:

  1. Hi Ron, My name is Bruce, along with my wife Gayleen, we are full time cruisers on Pearl. Our friends Ed and Joan on Dolce Vita mentioned you were on your way south on your big adventure and pointed us to your blog.

    Ed and Joan must have passed on some great advice and I read through your blog and it looks like you have been given some good advice from others.

    We are currently at Suntex Marina in Vero Beach and will be here through the holidays. We have made the trip back and forth to the Chesapeake two times and have spend the last five winters in the Bahamas. We also know the east coast of Florida very well. If we can be of any assistance along the way, feel free to contact us at adventuresofpearl@gmail.com hopefully our paths will cross and we will get a chance to meet you.

    You are making the trip of a lifetime. Enjoy every day of it.

    Safe travels, Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron,
    So excited to be reading more of your adventures! I realized I was not punching "publish", so maybe have missed a message or two. We have been watching weather and thinking of you! Blessings, stay safe and enjoy God on the sea! jenny and wallace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny
      I did see your comment(s) earlier - thanks so much. You may find this hard to believe but I think God is closer to me on the water than when I'm on land. I do appreciate your prayers.

      Delete