Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Tuesday 10/31/2017 Southport to Little River Inlet

Happy Halloween!!  I'll be wearing my sailor suit tonight.  That's grubby jeans and a T-shirt.


I had a good night sleep last night and today was a good day. I left Southport at 9am (as planned).  I passed three inlets - Lockwoods Folly, Shallotte, and Tubbs.  Lockwoods Folly was uneventful but at Shallotte, a J-105 I was following ran aground right in the middle of the well marked inlet. It was odd because he draws 5.5' and when I passed him (within 20' of his port side), I never read under 7 feet.  Fortunately for him, the tide was rising and he was off after about 30 minutes.  As I approached Little River Inlet, the tide was rising and it made for slow going (against a 2 knot current).  Getting into the anchorage across from the inlet was tricky but I stayed off the bottom.  I was anchored at about 3pm and took a quick shower since the outside temp is 70 and I still  have bright sunshine.  It WAS a beautiful day.  There is a fair amount of current in the anchorage and I only have one anchor rigged so I may need to reset after the tide changes direction (shortly).  Also, the wind is supposed to shift to the E and then NE overnight so I'll have to take that into consideration also.  I'm anchored near some crab pots so I do want to keep my distance from them.

1 comment:

  1. We're sure the sailor costume was authentic - had signs of rust, salt and mildew.

    ReplyDelete