Monday, October 23, 2017

Monday 10/23/2017 - Layover in Beaufort

We had talked about taking the boat out to Cape Lookout but I was a little uncomfortable not attending to the boats shaft seal.  I called a marine store in Beaufort and they recommended I call Ace Marine in Morehead City.   Not only did they have packing, they had the size I needed AND had the exact type that had last been installed.  I drove there (the same Buick Roadmaster wagon) and got what I need for just $5.50.  I stopped at Pigley Wiggly on the way back to the boat for some groceries.   By10am, I had the new packing in place and I'm confident that the repair will stop the leaking. 
After lunch on the boat, we went to the ship building section of the Maritime Museum then walked down to see the Cape Lookout Visitors Center.  On the way, we asked about the local boat tours.  At just after 3pm, we got on a small 16 person boat and had Captain Peggy give us a nice boat ride and discussion of the area. 

We got back to the boat at around 5 and shortly after, a fairly severe rain/wind storm blew through.  It started very suddenly  but, fortunately, we were on the boat and were able to duck below without getting too wet.  

A real GEM!  It got the job done and was FREE!




No comments:

Post a Comment