Saturday, October 21, 2017

Saturday 10/21/2017 - Oriental NC Layover

I realized when I talked to Joan on the phone last night that we had almost 3 weeks to get to Myrtle Beach and not 2.  Given we have been gone two weeks and are almost 2/3 of the way there means we have time to "kill".  After spending most of the day in Oriental yesterday - and loving it - we decided to stay another day.  After all, the docks are free, there is a great coffee shop right across the street and, right now they are playing live music at the marina right next door (the volume is perfect although the music is a little twangy for my taste).

After getting coffee at the Bean at 6:45 am this morning, I ran into a really nice guy that I had met at the Dismal Swamp Visitors Center 5 years ago.  He has upgraded to a trawler and goes from New Hampshire to Florida every year.  He always stops at Oriental for a month.

At around 9am, we went for a walk to the top of the bridge that crosses Greens Creek to the South side of town. Some great views!

After we returned from the walk, we stopped a half block from the boat at the provision store around 11am. They have free bikes for visiting sailors so we checked out a couple and rode around town for 3 hours.  That included lunch at the Silos restaurant north of town and a quick stop at the West Marine store. 

There are many beautiful homes in Oriental and I took photos and videos of lots of them.  I'll try and get some posted on You Tube soon.


We spent the rest of the day doing light boat work and relaxing.   I'm starting to feel like I'm on  vacation!

Harbor entrance and tour


Oriental from the bridge over Greens Creek.  Neuse River is on the right.


4 comments:

  1. I see you haven't "changed" your writing style..... not sure who your "dearest friend" is... I guess I thought it was me!!! So glad you are doing well, I really do enjoy your blog...so keep up the good work! We also enjoyed the recent pictures. Love and prayers...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your trip has gotten dryer and more leisurely. It is all sounds so familiar after the many trips south we have made. Allen went to Toronto recently to winterize Salty Spray for the grandkids and to Baltimore to winterize Christine. He left for the Dominican Republic last Wednesday to help repair long time cruising friends' boat damaged in the recent hurricanes. The guys are living in a vila and getting to the marina on rented scooters. There is a lot of damage which will, hopefully, be mostly repaired (and cleaned up) before Sandy and I get there for the holidays. Allen expects to be stay there for most of the winter. Best wishes for fun and safety as your trip continues. Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois - sorry for the long delay. Thanks to Al's advice and your trip reports, I'm at Osprey Marina - what a great place to stay for 2 weeks. Al is truly a "giver". I'm sure the people he is helping in the DR will appreciate all his efforts.

      Delete
  3. Oriental was one of our favorite stops, both in the fall and in the spring. I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete