Sunday, October 29, 2017

Sunday 10/30/2017 - Carolina Beach State Park Layover


Sunday was somewhat uneventful and somber about Phil leaving.  But by mid day, we had both accepted it worked on his travel plans etc.  I began planning the next week and a half to the south end of Myrtle Beach where Joan will be visiting.  The forecast is for wind and cold all night into Monday morning.  To plan my strip down the 10 miles of the Cape Fear River, I'll need to leave the marina at 10am Monday.  I'll have the current with me going south.  That will put me at the exit of the River (and entrance to Southport) at slack current.  The wind is from the west shifting to NW so I'm hoping that won't be a problem.  I came up the Cape Fear River 3.5 years ago on the Pintita against a 2.5 knot current and it was pretty nasty.  I don't want to have a repeat of that.  The one thing that may keep me here for another night is the temperature.  The forecast low is 41 degrees (50 at 10am).  That with a forecasted 15 knot headwind will make for some uncomfortable motoring. 

4 comments:

  1. Thinking about you this morning....we prayed for you.
    Glad Joan will join you soon and hoping for warm weather! Xo. L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ron, I'm sorry things didn't work out as planned! Ed and I used to say "new plan!" whenever something came up that disrupted the original plan. This came from some movie we watched. Plans are always subject to change! Wish you well on your solo adventure and I am also very glad Joan will be joining you. I wish we could take Phil's place! Talk about crowded space!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. H Ron!

    This is the first that I have logged into your blog. The week you left, I had surgery and it has taken this long to get feel like even sitting up.

    Keep up the interesting details of the ICW. I'm taking notes for my trip down next year.

    Now that you are going solo, remember: slow and deliberate. You have gained more than a week of casual sailing time ahead of you. No sense of pushing yourself. NO more, 4 AM jaunts out of an inlet you've never traveled -- mate! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. Actually, I did go out and back in the Beaufort Inlet about 5 years ago when my final destination was Cape Lookout. The wind then was from the NW vs. the SW this time. A WHOLE different experience!!

      Delete