Saturday, October 28, 2017

Saturday 10/28/2017 Carolina Beach State Park Marina Layover

It's now Monday 10/30.  Saturday night, a predicted front came through with LOTS of heavy rain and wind.  It started about midnight.  We had thunderstorms and downpours until about 7am and then just rain on and off until about 2pm.  It made for a pretty miserable night and day.  When it did clear up, the wind shifted from the SW to the west and blew 20 to 30 all afternoon and evening.  During the night it died down to around 15.  During the night, I got up to investigate a strange knocking on the hull.  It was hard to tell where it was coming from and whether the source was inside or outside the boat.  I finally went outside (at 2am) to find a floating tree branch lodged inside our floating dock near the stern.  It was knocking into the hull every few seconds.  I retrieved it with the boat hook and went back to bed.


I've given some thought on whether (and how) to explain Phil's early departure this (Monday) morning.  Saturday morning he told me he was planning on going home early.  My first reaction was shock and disappointment.  My first assumption was that I had failed as a captain and host.  But, like most things, I have concluded it was a combination of things that led to his decision. I believe he and I simply have different expectations from cruising and the trip was simply not meeting his expectations.  Two years ago, he and I both sailed our own boats (solo) to Tangier Island.  It was a pretty rustic and undeveloped place.  He didn't care for it and I loved it.  Perhaps that should have been more of a sign to me.  I know there were other issues (space, personalities, etc.) but I believe they were more minor.  He was very apologetic for leaving early but I told him I was just glad to have his company and help for the 3 weeks we were together.  So, the remainder of my trip to the Bahamas will be solo.  

No comments:

Post a Comment