Friday, May 11, 2018


Friday May 11, 2018 -  Dismal Swamp Welcome Center to Portsmouth free dock

There was just the other sailboat (a C&C 35) and me at the Welcome Center overnight. The C&C left somewhat early and I waited till about 10am to depart. I wanted to make the 1:30pm opening of the north, Deep Creek, lock.  I was only going to Portsmouth for the night and that was only another 2 hours away.  I left the Dismal Swamp around 2:30pm and made the easiest pass through the Glimerton Bridge that I've ever made.  After that, it was an easy motor to Portsmouth.  When I arrived in the small (south) docking area, there were no other boats there. And there was a sign at the entrance stating "No docking from midnight till 6am".  I radioed the captain of the ferry that was tied up at the entrance and he told me that rule is not enforced and the have  signs on several of the pilings stating rules for overnight docking.  After I docked, two other boats came in and docked also. 

I walked to the south side of the "High Street Landing" and found a craft beer restaurant - Legends.  I went in and had one of their Porters while I looked out the wind at True Blue (which I had left unlocked). 


No comments:

Post a Comment