Monday, May 14, 2018


Monday May 14, 2018 - Hampton to Reedille

I guess I'm a bit of a pessimist when it comes to planning for my next day's progress. I usually have a destination A and a destination B (the latter being a little stretch).  I almost always make destination and sometimes go on to destination C.  That's what happened today. I left Hampton at 6am.  I was sure I'd make it to Fishing Bay on the Piankatank River. But I was hoping to make it to Dymer Creek (above the Rappahannock). But I was happy to make it another 10 miles to Reedville on the Great Wicomico River. Not only that, I was at my anchorage (Sandy Point) and all settled by 4pm.  My plan was to be in Solomons tomorrow so I'll have to re-think that.  After tomorrow, we are supposed to have 3 days of rainy weather.

I left early this morning because I knew the current would be flooding for several hours. That made it hard getting out of the James River but that only takes an hour or so.  But then it was 6 to 7 knots going north for the next 7 hours.  I had both sails out all the way for the NE to E, 5 to 10 knot wind that helped with my speed.  Unfortunately, at around 7am, a big and thick fog bank rolled into the Bay and made the visibility between 200 300 yards until about noon. When it finally started lifting, it was kind of an odd feeling because I was not able to see land in any direction.  I almost felt more secure when I was encased in my little fog cocoon. 

As I approached the Great Wicomoco, it became sunny and turned into a really nice afternoon.  I anchored in Sandy Point Bay.  Ed and Joan had been there before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment