Wednesday, May 9, 2018


Wednesday May 9, 2018 - Alligator River South to Alligator River North

It's interesting how things that seem so stressful at first can become routine - and less stressful.  The last three days have been very rough.  I've had 15 to 25 knots of wind on the nose all three days.  After watching a 38' sloop leave the anchorage this morning and then return a half hour later, I questioned whether going up the 18 mile Alligator River was a prudent thing to do.  I radioed the boat (who anchored next to me) and asked why he had returned. His response was that he didn't need to get to Norfolk until the weekend and pounding into the waves and 22+ knot winds - on the nose didn't make much sense.  I had gotten up at 5am hoping the wind had died some overnight but I could tell it hadn't.  Also, I wanted to wait around to see if TowBoat US would come for my new friend Doug.  They had said they would be there between 8 and 9am and they were there at 8:55 (from 30 miles away).  But then I watched other boats leave the anchorage - and not return.  Finally, I had had all I could take of indecision.  I listened to the NOAA weather forecast one more time.  They were calling for SW at 10 to 15 on Thursday - picking up to 15 to 25 in the afternoon.  I decided that I wanted to be able to cross the (dreaded) Albemarle Sound in 10 to 15 and not 15 to 25.  The only way to do that was to be ready to cross in the morning - which meant getting to the top of the Alligator River (where it meets the Sound). 

I decided about half way through my motor sail that I was getting used to sailing again.  Gone were the days of mezmorizing motors up the ICW rivers and canals. By the way, the Alligator River is a huge body of water - about 5 miles wide by 19 miles long.  I've been on it 5 times now and only once was it not a challenge.  I still have some canals to go (Dismal Swamp Friday and Saturday) and then it is all Chesapeake Bay sailing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment