Friday, November 17, 2017

Friday 11/17 -  Georgetown to Charleston


I was up at 6 am and planned on leaving at 7.  Again, I wanted to catch several shallow areas at something other than low tide.  I was surprised when 3 or 4 other boats left before me.  It turned out the current was with me almost all day and the tide was fairly high so I didn't really have any problems.  That made it a long day but I ended up motoring about 55 miles.  I anchored in some marshes that showed two good anchorages on Active Captain.  A catamaran already had the first one so I went to the second.  It was narrow but I figured the current would keep me centered - WRONG!!  One thing I didn't account for was the tide.  When I anchored, I was in 11' (MLLW).  But when I started hearing lots of little rippling and ticking noises at 11 pm, I decided to go out for a look.  I was shocked when I was the bow was over exposed mud and about 5' from the shoreline of reeds.  The anchor line was against the hull, leading aft - under the boat.  I assumed the tide had changed and the anchor line had wrapped around the keel.  What a MESS.  And it was still 2 hours from low tide.  By the way, I forgot to mention this area has an 8.5' tidal range.  I went back to bed and got about an hour's sleep the remainder of the night.   Hi tide was at 9am the next morning so my plan was to get up at 6, and haul the dinghy out of the quarterberth (where it is all neatly packed away), and take a spare anchor to the other side of the channel so I could kedge myself off.   I prayed that God would help me get out of this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment