Thursday, November 2, 2017

Thursday 11/2/2017 -  Socastee SC (Osprey Marina) Layover

My first full day at Osprey.  I met a few other boaters this morning.  The marina has free coffee, donuts, and beagles every morning.  It results in a gathering and some social contact.  All the others were on trawlers and were heading out just after "breakfast".  I returned to the boat and did a little boat work.  I'm trying to get by without shore power - mainly to see if I am able to (for the Bahamas).  As long as it's sunny, I think I'll be OK.

Sometimes procrastinating pays off (but not as often as I'd like).  Today, I stumbled on a very simple fix to a problem I've had for several months.  About 3 months ago, I replaced the Harken cleats for my mainsheet traveler control lines.  The line on the port side has worked like a charm since I replaced it.  The one on the starboard side has been a real PIA to uncleat.  Sometimes it needs to be uncleated NOW and that is usually when it is the most difficult.  I was using the lines to move the boom so the solar panels on the bimini were in full sun and I noticed that I have/had the line running out of the bottom of the double block and not out of the top.  In less than a minute, I re-ran the line and - problem solved.  

In the afternoon, I was sitting in the marina office editing my first two videos. As I sat there, who would walk into the office but Vince of (the YouTube Channel) Sailing Nervous.  I recognized him right away.  His wife Amy is a nurse and was on the boat "working". She does her nursing via the phone/internet and is pretty disciplined about working an 8 hour per day, 40 hour per week job.  I talked to Vinny for about an hour and he said he and Amy would stop over later in the evening.  Vinny has spent much of his life trying to find a vocation.  He started out going to seminary, became a pastor, then got into counseling,  got his PHD in something, them got a law degree in around 2009.  Just two or three years ago, he decided he wanted to leave it all and sail the world.  He and Amy's three kids are fully grown so that is what they are doing - on their Moody 32.  They live near Lancaster PA and are going home this weekend to put their house up for sale.   I've been watching their entertaining videos for over a year.  Here is a link to their channel:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4x5ZeAGz8Z_k0TzQO6fYIQ/featured


This evening, Vin and Amy came over.  They took some videos of True Blue and threatened to include them in one of their upcoming videos.  They are newcomers to sailing and are very humble about how much they still have to learn.  They are both VERY nice people.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting reading the last 2 posts. Say Hi to Vinnie and Amy.

    ReplyDelete