Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Wednesday 11/29/2017 - Daytona Beach to Titusville FL

I got an early start today and I was glad I did.  About 10 miles below the Daytona Beach anchorage, I missed a bridge opening by 5 minutes.  It's interesting how much diversity there is in bridge operators.  Some operators are very friendly and some act like the world owes them a living.  In addition to having to wait 30 minutes for the opening time, just before opening, a barge radioed that he was coming downstream and requested that I (and three other sailboats with me) wait until he had passed through the bridge.  After he passed through, he thanked us all.  Then we passed through. 

The other reason the day was long was that I passed through the Mosquito Lagoon.  It is just north of Cape Canaveral.  This body of shallow water is about 15 miles long and about 3 miles wide.  The ICW channel runs down the western side.  It was sunny and about 75 and there was a real nice NNE, 6 to 8 knot wind.  So I shut off the engine and sailed (genoa only) down the entire 15 miles.  It was nice to be moving with no engine.  By the way, I never did see a mosquito!

No comments:

Post a Comment