Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thursday 11/23/2017 - Fernandina Beach Layover
I got a good night's sleep, even through the rain that started around 2am.  I woke up at 6 (as usual) but stayed in my sleeping bag listening to the wind and rain for another half hour.  I got up and did a few boat chores and come computer work.  I also had a few calls with some family and loved ones.  At about 1:30, I decided it was time to fix my Thanksgiving Dinner.  I was actually pretty happy with myself for making the effort. Of course, the entire event - from start to finish lasted only about an hour.  I can't figure out why so many people make a whole afternoon out of an event like this. 

Around 5pm, my friend Wolfgang returned from dinner with his girlfriend and her family.  It was a pleasant (and welcome) surprise that he brought back some left overs for ME.   It had stopped raining but a NNE wind was howling.  The marina had me tie up my boat on the other side of the T head from where Wolfgang keeps his boat (a Pacific Seacraft 34).  He is originally from Allentown.  He cruised to Fernandina with a friend a few years ago and liked it so much that when he got his current boat, he came down here from Rock Hall and has been here ever since (living aboard).  He rode out two major hurricanes (Mathew and Irma) that did significant damage to the marina and docks but his boat survived them both. 

No comments:

Post a Comment