Monday, November 6, 2017

Monday 11/6/2017 - Osprey Marina Layover

The crowd of cruisers left the marina today and things got much more quiet.  

I've been putting off working on the leaking water pump for several days now.  Working on the boat at home is much easier since making the boat dysfunctional usually has a much less severe consequence.  So, at 7am, I began working on the pump.  I was very careful to take measurements and even recorded much of what I did and found with my camcorder (posted below - but WAY too long for the casual reader).  I had several concerns about doing the work myself:
  1.  Would I break something or find a part that had to be replaced - that I didn't have as a spare.  The engine will not run more than about 5 minutes without this pump.
  2.  Would I need a bearing puller/press to remove the shaft and seal?
As it turned out, the shaft and bearings came out with just a little tapping from a hammer -not a recommended practice but I believe it worked fine.  The old seal was a real mess but it came out without too much trouble.  The bottom line was that the new seal went in with no real problems.  And - I had no extra parts left over AND NO LEAKAGE.

Raw water pump rebuild video


4 comments:

  1. Good job Ron! That was a day’s worth of work... Hope you had a celebratory meal and drink after that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron,
    your videos are top quality. audio is clear. Will you be able to send video when in route to the Islands ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Biff. I guess "quality" is relative. I watch a few youtube sailing channels and I consider my videos "worse than the worst". I do expect to be able to film and post videos to and in the Bahamas. It will be a challenge to find wifi that will allow me to upload them so they will be a little less frequent.

      Delete