Sunday, November 12, 2017

Sunday 11/12 - Backtrack to Southport and Carolina Beach

This morning, Joan and I had an unrushed departure from our hotel in Southport.  Our goal was to catch the 10am ferry from Southport to Fort Fisher (south of Carolina Beach).  From where you exit the ferry it is about a mile to the Fort Fisher Memorial.  Fort Fisher was important to the South during the Civil War since it was used to protect the Cape Fear river from blockades that the Union was using to prevent the Confederates from moving supplies up the river to Wilmington. 

There are some pretty ocean side beaches there but it was cool and windy so we didn't spend too much time out of the car.  We drove up through several miles of beach communities to the more developed city of Carolina Beach.  We went to the Carolina Beach Marina where I had kept the boat 2 weeks before at the State Park Marina.  We hiked on some trails in the park that were supposed to have venus flytraps.  As hard as I tried, I never did see one.  It reminded me of the exiting times I had with my grandson Jaylen watching many youtube videos of the flytraps catching bugs (when he was 4). 

Then we went over to Michaels Seafood (restaurant) just outside the park.  It was the place I had gone to watch a Penn State game and had the owner of the restaurant take me to a friends house to watch the game.   Unfortunately, she was not there so we missed thanking her again.


We caught the 1pm ferry and did a little more walking around Southport before leaving to return to the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment