Friday, March 30, 2018


Friday March 30, 2018 - Layover in Treasure Cay

I've been making somewhat of a habit of being behind on my blog.  I'm sorry.  But I do have a pretty good excuse.  My son Mike and his family (Jody and Quinn) have been here for the last 4 days and we have been pretty busy. 

It started on 3/27 when they arrived on the ferry on Man-O-War cay.  I think their first reaction to the island was a little disappointment - it's "dry" and there are not a lot of commercial stores or restaurants.  But after a couple days, I know they really began appreciating the charm of the little town.  The night before we left, we were sitting on one of the docks and were joined by David Albury where we all chatted for about 30 minutes. David is one of several brothers whose family have been on the island for many years.  While we were talking, David pointed over his shoulder to a small village house where he said he had been born, 70 years before.  He owns about 20 of the moorings and I was on one the first two days I had been there.  I had met him the first day and he gave me a ride to the grocery store in his golf cart where I bought a loaf of just baked (and still warm) bread.

On their second day here (3/28), Mike and Jody wanted to go to Tahati Beach.  They had read about it in one of the travel brochures.  It was about a 5 mile sail to the south near the south end of Elbow Cay (just  south of Hope Town).  It WAS a beautiful beach and Quinn found 2 or 3 small (live) conchs and saw a couple star fish.


Yesterday, 3/29, we sailed downwind in a very nice 10 to 15 knot wind from Man-O-War to Treasure Cay.  It was about a 16 mile and we got here just after noon.  They rented a condo on shore and I kept True Blue on a mooring.  Last night was Pizza night at the at the resort restaurant and it was packed.  But they had plenty of ovens and cooks and it went quickly. 

This morning, I came in for breakfast and we all went to the beach that is a 10 minute walk from where they are staying.  The literature says it is one of the top 10 prettiest beaches in the world.  Quinn and I did a little snorkeling but the beach was not good for snorkeling.  They went for a long walk on the beach while I rested up for my upcoming passage.  They will fly out at 8am in the morning and I'll be on my way to Florida.

I don't recall if I've mentioned that I've been having kidney stone symptoms for about a month.  A few days ago, what I thought was stone related pain began really bothering me.  For Mike and Jody's first two days here, I had trouble moving around and was preparing myself to fly to Nassau or Miami for testing etc.  It got better but is still bothering me.  I feel like it's somewhat risky to make the 3 day sail to Florida but I've decided that's the best course.  But I've concluded that's my best option and Fort Pierce (where I plan to sail into) has a real good hospital (if I need one).

I've really enjoyed spending time with Mike, Jody and Quinn and hate to see them go.  I also wish I didn't feel the need to rush back to the states but there is a perfect weather window between now and Tuesday night so I'm planning on crossing over to Fort Pierce on Monday. 

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear you have had fun with the kids. We will be praying for your trip to FL and hope you are feeling ok while you are doing it!!! I’m sure you saw that KU lost to Villanova tonight....😞. Tomorrow is Easter...so Happy Easter! Pls let us know when you get to FL. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete