Thursday, March 8, 2018


Thursday March 8, 2018 - Layover in Rock Sound - Robert arrives

Well, there was no way I would be heading north to pick Robert up anywhere the Governor's Harbour airport.  The southern half of Eleuthera runs north and south and the northern part runs NW and SE.  The wind was blowing from the West at 20 to 25 which meant it was onshore the entire length of the island.  Yesterday, I had made arrangements to rent a car from Friendly Bob - to drive to the airport and pick up Robert.  I started out anchored in the NW corner of the Sound.  I left the anchorage at around 10am and motored over to the NE corner where there is a "dinghy dock" that is only a few hundred yards from the Rock Sound airport/Customs office.  When I got there at around 11, the wind was blowing about 25 from the NW.  I hated to anchor in an area where there were no other boats and where I had never been (making me nervous about the holding).  But, I stayed on the boat for a couple hours to make sure the anchor was holding and then motored ashore in the dink.  I left for the airport at about 1pm and arrived at the airport within 10 minutes of Robert's arrival.  
As soon as we got back to the boat, we departed and motored back to the NW corner of the sound where things calmed down overnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment