Tuesday, March 20, 2018


Tuesday, March 20, 2018 - Layover at Green Turtle Cay

For the first time in 2 weeks, I'm typing "real time".  I hope my blog followers haven't given up on me for getting so far behind.  I DO apologize.

My friend Robert just left for home.  He ended up taking a water shuttle to the Ferry that will take him to Treasure Cay.  From there, he and another cruiser we met last night will take a cab to the Marsh Harbor airport.  He will fly from there to Ft. Lauderdale and then onto home in Baltimore.  It has been really great having him aboard.  He is an excellent cook and a good sailor but also an all around really nice guy.  I'll definitely miss him.  Since we have been here in Green Turtle, we have spent a lot of time with his (now our) friends Steve and Linda.  Steve single handed here and has been in the area since late December.  Linda is visiting and will be flying home on Thursday. 

The weather has been great the last several days but fronts are starting to come through today which will make moving around much more problematic.  I need to get below "The Whale" for the arrival of my son Mike and his family and it already looks like it could be a little difficult.  The Whale is a small cay that you must go around to go between  the areas north and south of Treasure Cay. Going around involves leaving the Sea of Abaco, going through a cut, into the Atlantic, and then back in the cut on the south side of the cay.   It doesn't take much weather for both cuts to be impassable.  That means you must chose your time carefully and listen for reports of the conditions.  Sometimes, you get there when you have heard it is "passable" and there are breakers coming in that make it impassable. 

So, for today, I'll be doing some catching up on the computer and walk into town for some photos.  They are having a pork chop dinner at Sundowners this evening at 6 so I do plan on going to that.

Unfortunately, when we got to Sundowners, they had sold out of pork chops so we ended up being there for just an hour, or so, and then stopped at a takeout on the way back to the boat.  While I was there, I ran into my cruising friends Tom and Marylou whom I had met at Osprey Point Marina in Myrtle Beach and then again in Vero Beach. They have been here in Green Turtle for a month and will be here another month.

No comments:

Post a Comment