Friday, January 19, 2018

Friday 1/19/2018 - North Lake Worth to Boca Raton

After spending the night in a sleeping bag covered by blankets, I got up at 5:30 and prepared to be underway at first light.  I wore my normal northern winter attire plus my bibbed foul weather pants, a fleece, a vest, and my warm foul weather jacket, and my winter gloves.  I'd say I was "comfortable".  I left the North Lake Worth anchorage at 7, only to find out that all the commercial "sport fish" boats leave between 7 and 8 - heading for the Lake Worth Inlet about 3 miles south.  A sport fisher boat is usually about 50 to 70 feet long, are very heavy, and produce a very big wake.  Over that 3 miles, I was passed by about 8 of them.  Three or 4 gave me a "slow pass".  I was invisible to the others.  I'm sure it costs them $10 dollars in gas to slow down and speed back up but it IS the courteous thing to do - and they know it.  By 10am, it had warmed up enough that I was able to shed some of my winter clothing.  It turned out to be a pretty nice day - the boat warmed up to 72 degrees by the time I dropped my anchor in Lake Boca (Boca Raton). 
What made it a great day was that my friend Bruce Dandt had given me a tip yesterday for navigating the draw bridges of south Florida.  He identified the bridges that are required to open, creates a waypoint for each, and  transfers the waypoints to his chartplotter.  Then, as he motors down the ICW, he finds the next bridge and selects it as a waypoint to "Navigate to".  That creates a screen that constantly shows you the distance and the expected time of arrival (based on your current speed).   If the expected time of arrival is 5 minutes after noon for a bridge that opens on the hour, speeding up a little may get you there on time to make the opening.  Last night, I spent a couple hours creating all the waypoints and this morning, I put them into the chartplotter.  Needless to say, it worked GREAT!!  Thanks Bruce!!! 



4 comments:

  1. Glad you are safely back aboard and on the move. Even better to read you blog about your adventures. Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drove to Long Level Sat. to see the ice jam. WoW ! If you stand in the parking lot where we windsuf you can't see the other side of the river. The ice is like I haven't seen since the 50's. It sounds like you are chuggin along fine. I hope you get some warm weather soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad for Bruce’s input! Weather looks good for today..then cloudy and rain by Wednesday! I know you are watching more closely then me! Love &Prayers. ��

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...the above comment says “allie”..... but is me...your sister!!!

    ReplyDelete