Wednesday, January 24, 2018

January 24, 2018  Oleta State Park Layover

Why is that nothing is (sometimes) easy?  This morning was the first duty day for the new Honda generator.  After adding gas, it started on the first (half hearted) pull - hooray!  Then I plugged it into my shore power connection and went below to close the breaker - NOTHING!  I've never had any issues with my shore power wiring or anything related to AC.  So, I shut the generator down and began troubleshooting.  Generator output - OK.  Extension cord - OK.  30 amp adapter - OK.  Wiring from shore power connection to panel - OK.  Lots of head scratching - went lightly on that.  Another cup of coffee - OK.  Repeat of all of the above - done.  Try a store bought extension cord - BINGO!! Tested the short (heavy gauge) extension cord I had made up - OK (for the 3rd time). 
I slowly disassembled both ends of the 3', 10 gauge cord and found no issues.  I slowly reassembled it, testing it between an outlet and a fan - no problem.  I fully reassembled it - still no problem.  I replaced the store bought cord with my home made cord - no problem. 
conclusion:  it's one of the mysteries of those little electrons.  Seriously, it's a little upsetting since I consider myself fairly well trained and experienced in electrical.  To be foiled by a three foot piece of three conductor wire with a simple male connector on one end and a female connector on the other is somewhat embarrassing!  Oh well, I'm moving on!


So, part of my troubleshooting (above) was to empty out the entire lazarette (no small feat).  I needed to get to the back of the shore power receptacle which was nearly impossible.  The good news was that it needed a cleaning out and I found an anchor rode that I intend on using with my Fortress as a backup bow anchor and a stern anchor.  The Fortress is an FX-11 (my everyday anchor on the Chesapeake).  I also have a Fortress FX-16 (storm - for me) anchor as a second backup.  The bad news is that I noticed 30 to 40 little black specs that looked like sprinkles that come on donuts.  But they looked like tiny "turds".  When I was done cleaning and putting things back in the lazarette, a HUGE Florida cockroach scurried out of a bundle of dock line onto the companionway floor.  Fortunately he was easy to grab and quickly went for a swim.  Unfortunately, he may have relatives or hatchlings hiding in the bilges.  I do remember Phil Heisley warning me about these things and to be very careful about what I bring aboard.  He recommended I not bring ANY cardboard on board and I know I haven't adhered strictly to that advice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment