Sunday, January 21, 2018

Sunday January 21, 2018 (Boca Raton to Las Olas  (Hollywood)

Today was a short day (distance wise).  I motored about 15 miles from Boca Raton to Hollywood Florida.  I had planned on staying at the Hollywood City Marina but they were full and could not make room.  I called a couple other marinas - everyone seems to be FULL.    I really needed water and to do a load of laundry and I wanted to make it a short day. Looking ahead, I knew there was a weather window for Monday but I also knew it would really be pushing it to get to my departure point.  For those unfamiliar with the area and crossing the Gulf Stream - The Gulf Stream flows north at around 2.5 to 4 knots.  That means for each hour you are in it, you will be carried north that distance.   If you are in it for 8 hours, that can be 30 miles.  That's the distance I will have motored south (leisurely) over the last two days.  Since Bimini (closest point in the Bahamas) is due East of South Miami, that means you need to depart from as far south as you can and head ESE in order to arrive at Bimini.  For me, that means leaving from the southern tip of Key Biscayne.

Well, Bruce Danadt to the rescue.  Thank you AGAIN Bruce!  Bruce suggested I look to see if there were any empty moorings just south of Las Olas bridge (in Hollywood).  The moorings are on the West side of the ICW and the Las Olas Marina is on the east side - a short but tricky dinghy ride away (tricky because of the strong current and the bridge/bridge traffic.  There are only 10 moorings so I was (as usual) a little nervous.  As I went through the bridge, I spotted not just one but TWO moorings.  Of course, I grabbed one.  It is a very busy area.  The Las Olas Bridge (about 100 feet to my north) has lots of traffic since the Beach is just 2 blocks to the east.


It took me a while to gather my laundry, trash, water jugs, electronic devices, etc. and get the motor back on the dinghy. I had not used the motor for a couple weeks and was a little nervous.  I dinghyed over to the marina and checked in.  I got my laundry going and made a quick trip to the beach.  I'm not much of a beach person but it was fun to see all the activity on and around the beach.  The street is lined with beach bars playing loud music.  When I got back to the boat, I had a beer - to not feel too left out!

Las Olas Bridge by land


It's all about being FLASHY!

 

True Blue happily at anchor





No comments:

Post a Comment