Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Tuesday January 23, 2018

I'm getting behind on my blogging again.  Today I'll have to recall the last 3 days.  That's about my limit.  But I should do better over the next few days since I'm now very close to my destination to cross over to the Bahamas.  I'm in Oleta State Park.  I'm at anchor in a very protected spot.  There are lots of other boats in the anchorage but it's not crowded.  Today was a fair weather window for heading to the Bahamas and I think that cleared out many of the boats that had probably been here waiting.  I got here yesterday at about 4pm and it was sunny and around 80 degrees - really nice.  I actually stowed most of my winter fleeces and jackets (hopefully they won't be coming back out). 

I realized this morning that the water tank not only overflowed, but about 3 gallons of water ended up in my bilge.  One of the things I don't like about the Pearson is it's shallow bilge.  The deepest part is only about 6 inches below the sole.  But that 6 inches covers a fairly large area.  So, when three gallons end up in the bilge, it covers a lot of area.  Since I like to keep the bilge dry, this meant hand pumping and sponging the water out.  Even though it is very humid, the sun is mostly out today so I'm able to hang carpets, towels, rags, etc. on the lifelines. 

Just to feel like I'm relaxing now, I decided to clean, compound, and wax the stern of the boat.  It really needed it since the exhaust from the diesel seems to love attaching to the back of the boat.

One of the things I've enjoyed about the trip is the design and architecture of many of the bridges.  For years, light houses have been the subject of many books, calendars, etc.  Like most people, I appreciate the looks of many light houses.  But they have been so trendy (key chains, shot glasses, etc.) so  I've somewhat lost interest.  I think it is time that many of the countries bridges get some recognition.  Maybe when I get home, I'll start a movement.  In any event, you be the judge from some of the photos below.  Sorry, I don't know the names of them. Some have their names printed on the sides. 


No comments:

Post a Comment