Monday, January 22, 2018

Monday January 22, 2018  Las Olas to Oleta State Park (North Miami)


I was up early this morning.  I had lots of need for wifi on several devices.  I dinghyed over to the marina office at 7am and connected up all my devices (electrically and internet).  In case you are wondering what I need internet for, here is a list (note that Facebook is not included):
·         Grib (weather) files for the next 7 days
·         Check on checking account
·         Download Active Captain markers on 3 devices
·         Download recent podcasts for 3 subscriptions
·         Update apps on 3 devices
·         Download Passage Weather Gulf Stream forecast
·         Copy Bruce's blogs from he and Gayleen's last 5 Bahamas trips
After I finished all that, I walked across the Las Olas Bridge for some True Blue photo opps.  I was off the mooring at noon.

After motoring for about an hour, I entered the Fort Lauderdale Inlet.  This is a big inlet. It is very busy and has lots of big ships loading and unloading cargo.  There are also lots of small, medium, and large pleasure craft going every which way.  It was a nice day but was a little breezy.  Along with all the boat wakes, it made for a choppy harbor (I do not like chop).  Bruce had suggested I stop at the Lauderdale marina just north of the huge (and very busy) 17th Street Bridge.  I did but was disappointed when the told me there is a $10 fee for any amount of water - even if I were getting fuel.  This is a big marina and I think it's intended for BIG boats.  I needed about 20 gallons which would have made the water more expensive than what I expect to be paying in the Bahamas.  I did get fuel (since I was already tied up) but declined on the water.  About 3 miles south, I stopped at the very friendly Hollywood City Marina and got all the water I wanted - free!

The scenery has definitely changed.  About all you see now are high rise apartment buildings and a few waterfront houses.  I was tempted to go to the Stone Crab House restaurant for lunch.  It is directly across from the Hollywood City Marina and what they were cooking smelled sooo good.  But I stuck to what I know - bridges, motoring, anchoring, etc.  And I was exited to get to Oleta State Park about 5 miles south.

For some reason, I had trouble with bridge timing today.  One would open 5 minutes late and would make it impossible to get to the next one for the next opening.  I ended up spending a couple hours sitting or motoring very slowly to wait for bridge openings.  Also, I have noticed that the bridge tenders in the north Miami area are a very cranky bunch.  At least two tenders never did answer my requests for an opening (but did open around the scheduled times).  One tender snapped back several times at a woman with a strong German accent who was requesting an opening. 

For some reason, I had a lot of trouble filling the water tanks today.  I normally can see the level through the ends of both the port and starboard tanks - so I don't overfill them.  I've had problems before with overfilling one and had water all over the cabin sole.  Today, I was simply not able to see the level - even with my normally trusty flashlight method.   Well, at about 9pm, I stepped on one of the carpets on the starboard side and instantly realized it was soaked.  So, I spent the next 2 hours trying to remove floor boards, emptying my tool bag with a wet bottom, etc.  There is always something to keep you busy on a boat!




Hmmmmm - wonder which one?

























New Scenery!





No comments:

Post a Comment