Friday, February 9, 2018


Friday February 9, 2018 - Layover at Norman's Cay

I guess I'd have to say today has been my first day of "Livin the Dream".  I'm still playing catch up on lots of computer/tech/video stuff but the weather has been beautiful, I rowed the dinghy to shore for a short walk on a short beach, and then I did some snorkeling over to a small coral head where there was an amazing number and variety of colorful tropical fish.

I must admit that I still get very nervous leaving the security of being on or attached to True Blue.  What if the wind or current is more than I can row or swim against?  What if the motor conks out? What if the anchor rode snaps and True Blue drifts faster than I can swim or paddle.  I know this is a little (or mostly?) paranoia but I'm working on being more relaxed.  Still, I paddle upwind, or up current when I'm leaving the boat for the added safety factor. 

I'm starting to think that by the time I return home (to the Chesapeake), my definition of an acceptable anchorage will have changed.  There are no Worton Creeks down here.  I'm in a pretty good anchorage today (by Bahamas standards).  I'm about a tenth of a mile off a shorline that runs about a mile north and a mile south of where I'm located.  The wind is from the east and I'm on the west side.  The wind is blowing 15 to 20 but the land is probably 50 to 60 feet in elevation and has lots of vegetation. You would think the water would be very still.  But the reality is that you almost have to hand on when walking around the boat, the wiring is slapping against the inside of the mast all the time, and the wind is whistling through the rigging.  It's probably a good thing though.  It's all part of becoming a more "salty" sailor!


A beach all to myself!


Today, I got a couple neighbors



For the weather buffs, below is a sample screen from Marv's Weather.  It is a great site and gives similar forecasts for about 50 places in the Bahamas as well as many locations on the East Coast. 




1 comment:

  1. I carry a vhf and an anchor in the dink. The fear of the dink becoming disabled and not being able to get back to the boat is a real concern.

    ReplyDelete