Wednesday, February 28, 2018


Wednesday February 28, 2018 - Layover in Rock Sound

The days just seem to be getting better.  My goal for the day was to have lunch at Rosie's Northside Restaurant.  I was to the only one she was having for lunch but it turned out that three more people showed up.  Her restaurant/cottages/home is about 4 miles east of Rock Sound.  So I made arrangements with Brad at Dingles gas station to have Rosie pick me up at noon.  Rosie is somewhat of a legend in the area.  While I was waiting for her to pick me up, I had a great conversation with Mr. Brown (a customer at Dingles).  It didn't take long into the conversation for him to bring up his son Chris Brown.  Chris was in 5 consecutive summer olympics in track and field.  It was somewhere in Europe that he won the Gold metal for the Bahamas.  There are now streets named after him in Eleuthera.  Can you imagine the pride someone like Mr. Brown must have.  After we finished talking, he invited me to come to his home (about 10 miles south of here) to see his son's trophies.

Rosie had stopped by just before I got to the gas station and I missed her by about a minute.  She had to go to the government building to transfer the title of her car from her daughter (and attorney in Switzerland) to herself.  She picked me up on the way back.  This is one amazing woman.  Her husband died 18 years ago and she has been running a business of renting out 6 beach front cottages and a restaurant - by herself.  Three others showed up for lunch and she was telling the 4 of us how she had broken her wrist a few years before.  When I told her the trouble Joan had when she did the same thing, Rosie said she hung the laundry on the line using her good hand and her TEETH.  Of course, she showed me her photo albums with her husband and kids and her photo with Nelson Mandela.  She sat and talked to the 4 of us while we ate lunch (grouper smothered in onions and okra, rice and peas, plantains, and coleslaw).

Patty offered to give me a ride back, along with her two Canadian guests.  She dropped me off at Halls so I could pick up some groceries (best grocery store I've seen yet and good prices - for the Bahamas).  I walked the mile back to the boat.

Dingles - the center of the universe and pick up location for my ride to Rosie's

Rosie has been around! 


Rosie and me

Rosies


This is a MUST anytime you are in Eleuthera!




1 comment:

  1. The Bahamas are beautiful but the true beauty is the kind and generous people. So glad you found this too.

    ReplyDelete