Thursday, February 15, 2018

Thursday February 15, 2018 - Pipe Cay to Great Guana Cay

Last night was one of the best night's sleep I've had in a while.  I actually woke up a couple times wondering why it was so still.  The boat was not rocking and there was no wind in the rigging.  It's now 7am and the wind has picked back up a little but it is forecast to be just 10 to 15 (east) today and even less tomorrow. What a nice break.  I know, and do appreciate, that I have not had any cold fronts come through that bring the "northers".  When they do, all the cruisers have to put the comfort of the west side of the Exumas on hold and run and hide in the limited number of locations between the cays to stay out of the wind and waves.  Fortunately, they usually don't last long as the wind veers around clockwise over a day or two and then everyone can return to their normal west side anchorages.  If I sound like I know something about this, it's only because I've been warned by friends who have been here and also from what I've read.  I'm lucky that there are no cold fronts in the forecast for at least another week.

What a great sail this morning.  The wind was 12 to 18.  It was 6 miles of reaching and then 6 miles very close reaching.  With a double reef in the main, I was doing 5.5 to 6 knots consistently.  I learned today that a double reefed main can be your "friend". 

I'm anchored in a very large bay in the settlement of Black Point on the island of Great Guana Cay.  There must be 20 sailboats anchored here but none as close to shore as me.  I'm about a half mile from the dinghy dock and I'm looking forward to going into town - free water, the best laundry in the Bahamas (per Bruce, and others).  BTW, one thing that has been a growing pain is that it seems like everything is impregnated with salt.  I have rags and towels to wipe my hands and feet on before coming below but all the small carpets on the sole seem salty, towels, everything.  I'm hoping the laundry will help with this growing problem. 

There are a few very local restaurants and I plan on taking advantage of happy hour at one this evening. 

One thing I forgot to mention is that Black Point has a BTC tower and I have 5 bars of 4g and great cell reception.  I better get on using up the remaining 10G of data that I now have just two days to use.  Note that my normal use is less than 1/3G per month.  After the 17th, I'll be on the "pay as you go" plan. 




       This is why I have a sailboat!

Directions?  No problem mahn!





















Remember these?  On Great Guana, they keep them
standing for the artistic value.


This is indicative of the level of crime here.

Known widely as the best laundromat in the Bahamas!


Variety store, showers, even a barber.








1 comment:

  1. Is there anything you can rig to cut down on wind noise in your videos.Cover the mic somehow ?

    ReplyDelete