Sunday, February 18, 2018


Sunday, February 18, 2018 - Black Point to Big Majors

My trip south (in the Exumas and in the Bahamas) has come to an end.  I'm heading north now and it feels kind of good because I will be meeting up with my friend Robert on March 8th and my Son and his family on March 27th.  So I have fun things to look forward to and then I'll be heading for home.  I'm here because the wind is supposed to pick up this afternoon and evening and blow (20 to 30) from the east for the next 2 or 3 days.  Big Majors is a pretty protected spot from east winds.  Before I leave, I'll be going to Staniel Cay for some provisions and to check out Thunderball Grotto (a well know swimming/cave type area that was made famous in a James Bond movie).  Then I'll be on my way north about 20 miles for 2 or 3 days at Warderick Wells.

Big Majors is known for its pigs on the beach.  Not too many cruisers go by here without making a pig stop.  They eat out of your hands, love fresh water, and will even roll over and let you scratch their bellies.  I'll be sure and take some photos.
My Bahama's phone Combo Plan ran out yesterday so last evening, I spent some time signing up for the "slim and trim" plan.  I suspect the Combo plan is designed to get you accustomed to using lots of data, calls, texting, etc. so you feel the need to continue after the two weeks when it runs out.  They don't know Ron Harbin - I can pinch data like some people pinch pennyies.  If you notice a cut back in videos, you will know why.

Yesterday, at the suggestion of Bruce, I made a day sail to the south end of Great Guana Cay to a place called Oven Rock.  Take a look at the photos below and you will see how it got it's name.  Just up the beach and to the east about 1/4 mile is a very rugged hill. Near the top is a cave that is awesome.  THANKS Bruce!  Unfortunately, all three of my camera batteries were dead so I was stuck using my phone for a few photos.  Since I had left my dinghy on the beach with a rising tide, I hustled back.  Of course, the tide had continued to go down so I had to get it back to the water with care.  I had a really nice sail both down and back so it was a really nice adventure. 

I guess I'm changing over time because I'm getting lazy.  As long as the wind is not on the nose and I don't have more than 10 miles to go, I use the genoa alone.  The time to remove the main sail cover and do everything related to that just doesn't seem justified for a 2 hour sail.  But I AM doing a lot of sailing (especially compared to those around me). 
About two weeks ago, I began having trouble with my two new solar panels (or the controller, etc.).  It was windy and I was traveling so I took them down.  It's been really nice to have the generator to rely on for those days where I'm sitting or sailing.  But when I got here, I decided to give them another try and, for some odd reason, they are doing great. Perhaps they just needed a break?  It IS a really bright sunny day and it's noon.  I expect to be able to rely on them more and more as the days get longer and the sun gets higher. 

This afternoon I did good job of cleaning the True Blue's bottom.  It had developed a new (to me) slime/scale over most of the bottom that was not as easy to scrub off as the previous green slime that I'm used to.  I was a little exhausted after an hour so I took a break for an hour.  For the second half of the job, I put on my shorty wet suit and weight belt.  The wet suit makes you more buoyant so the weight belt balances that out.  I think this is the cleanest I've ever gotten the bottom - all the way down to the underside of the wing keel.  I'm getting a few small barnacles on the bottom paint which concerns me a little since the paint needs to last until November. 

Could this be the trail marker?




Which way would YOU go?


Who/what could be lurking under that water??




No comments:

Post a Comment