Thursday, February 22, 2018


Thursday February 22, 2018 - Big Majors Spot to Staniel Cay

It would seem hard to believe that motoring 2 or 3 miles, going to the grocery store, getting gas, and going for a swim could be exhausting but that's what I did today and I'm exhausted.  I'll expound. First, I left the anchorage where I've been for 3 days just before 7am.  I got back to an anchorage nearby at around 4pm.  In between, I:
  • 1.      Went for a great swim at Thunderball Grotto (remember the James Bond movie Thunderball?).  There were LOTS of friendly and colorful fish. I wish I had an underwater camera. 
  • 2.      When I got back to the boat, a nice couple from Ottawa, who have a Pearson 36, stopped by on their way to the Yacht Club.  We hit it off right away and ended up having lunch together.  They had been there a few days so knew their way around.
  • 3.      Had a great juicy hamburger, fries, and a beer at the Yacht Club restaurant - just the kind of bar, restaurant I like.
  • 4.      Filled 3 mini jerry cans with water.
  • 5.      Walked with Jeff and Brenda to the grocery store (where I realized I only had brought about half the money I should have).
  • 6.      Back to the  boat to replenish the kitty and leave the water on the boat.
  • 7.      Back to shore to fill up the diesel jerry can.
  • 8.      Back to the store for a few cold items.

9.      When I got back to the boat, I heard my name being called, looked over about 200 feet off my stern and there was Phillip and Katy on Tuesday.  I dinghied over for a short visit.  His mother is flying into Staniel tomorrow and will be with them for several days.  It's likely I won't see them again since they are staying in this area and I'm heading north soon.  Still, it's funny that this is the 5th or 6th time I've run into them.
10.  Once I got things put reasonably away, I pulled up the anchor and headed back to Big Majors.  It is much more protected here and there is almost no current. 
It IS pretty amazing how much those things can take out of you.  But it was all fun. What a great day!!

One of the things I've thought about and keep meaning to mention is how comfortable the temperatures are here.  It's been windy every day and the temperatures are almost always between 79 and 82.  That might seem warm, and at times it is but it's easy to cool off.  All you have to do is jump in the water or just stand out in the wind.  True Blue has good ventilation so it is pretty easy to keep comfortable inside the boat.  Of course, it's important to not over exert yourself.

Brenda and Jeff, S/V Seldom Silent (Pearson 36-2)






1 comment:

  1. I don't think there is any chance of you over exerting yourself.

    ReplyDelete