Sunday, February 4, 2018

Sunday February 4, 2018 - Bimini to North West Channel


I really had planned on going to the Berry Islands (about half way between New Province and the Grand Bahama Island).  Well, I sort of did.  I went to an anchorage at the south west corner - just above a big shoal that extends west, just above the somewhat narrow channel that you need to go through to get to Nassau and the Exumas etc.  I'll back up.  The forecast when I left Florida was for a decent passage to Bimini on Friday.  The lots of north wind Friday night and Saturday.  But Sunday was forecasted to be good for continuing East. My plan was to sail to Mackie Shoal (2/3 of the way to the Berry's), anchor over night, and continue on Monday.  That plan changed at the Pot Luck dinner that I attended in Bimini Saturday night.  Several other (bigger) boats had decided to sail 70 miles from Bimini to the anchorage north of the NW channel.   It sounded like a long day but it sounded good (more protection that the NO protection you get at Mackie Shoal and I'd be that much closer to my real destinations).  So, that's what I/we did.  We started at 7am and got to the anchorage at 9pm.  It was about 4 hours of sailing and 10 hours of motor sailing.  Unfortunately, the anchorage ended up being a little rough so I didn't get a real good night's sleep (I need water like glass for that).  

No comments:

Post a Comment