Monday, February 12, 2018


Monday February 12, 2018 - Norman's Cay to Hawkbill Cay via Shroud Cay

What a great day.  I left the South anchorage at Normans around 9am.  As I left, I stopped by S/V Noodin and bid a farewell to my new friends Ron and Pfebe.  It's likely that I'll run into them again but you never can tell. It was a 6.5 mile sail to the north anchorage on Shroud Cay so I lazily used only the jib. The it was a fairly close to the wind sail but I was able to sail most of the way. Bruce had recommended I dinghy through the creek that goes from the bank (west) side to the sound (east) side.  I was a little reluctant to do it because (like Bruce the first year the cruised the Bahamas) I can hardly stand leaving True Blue out of my sight. I anchored about as close as I could to the creek entrance and began preparing the dinghy for it's most challenging trip to date.  I lowered the motor onto the dinghy and packed everything I might need (including my had held VHF radio - just in case).  The creek was very windy and because it was right at low tide, it was very shallow in spots.  I DO feel like I'm getting the knack of "reading the water" and the creek was good practice.  It was about a mile across and it was slow going.  The motor is doing great - thank you Fred!  When I got to the other side, the view was breathtaking.  Really. Just like something you would see in a magazine.  I took a number of videos that I'll try to get posted. 


















I got back to the boat around 1pm, ate a quick bite and was on my way to my anchorage for the night.  It was another 6.5 mile sail to Hawksbill Cay.  The wind had picked up a little (around 18) but the boat did well under jib alone.  I got into the anchorage near the north end of the island at around 3:30pm.  It was a pleasant surprise to see my friends Philip and Katy anchored near the shore - right next to where I was planning to anchor.  This will be the 5th time we have anchored together (starting with No Name Harbor in Florida).  At about 5pm, Phillip and I walked to the top of a hill so he could get and internet signal from Highbourne.  He was able to get it through Katies i-phone. 




I'm looking forward to a full day of sailing tomorrow.  I'm planning on going south to the Compass Cay area.  It will be under full sail with the wind at about 50 degrees.


This morning, I thought I'd do a write-up about my log taking.  If you're not too bored already, I'll share it below.

Logs

Since I began the trip, I've planned to keep some logs and several times, I've seen the need (and started logging) but I've been very inconsistent and bad about following through.  A couple days ago, I lost my BTC data link so I decided to begin listening to the HF weather radio again.  As soon as I do that, I feel the need to log what I'm listening to.  So, why is that?  Here are some reasons to keep logs:

Radio Logs

1.       I have a number of high frequency channels (and other sources too) that provide weather.  Some are voice and some are fax.  I got all these frequencies from various internet websites.  What I have found is that the reception goes from none at all to a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10.  It's usually around 5 (barely discernable). The reception varies with several things:  Frequency, time of day, location, and weather conditions.  Of course, it always helps to raise my single wire antenna with the flag halyard vs. using the collapsable antenna on top of the radio. 
2.      In order to try and make sense of what to use for forecasts, a log can be used to record all these variables.  The goal would be to settle in on the best frequency for the time of day etc.  Of course, I'm always moving but I'm usually in the same general area for a few weeks (central vs. northern Bahamas).
           
So, for a radio log, the information I find useful include:
Date
Time
Station Name
Frequency (most stations have multiple frequencies)
My Location
Signal Strength
Signal to Noise
Comments on station format and timing.  For example, the USCG gives a 50 minute broadcast and covers the Bahamas between about 35 and 50 minutes into the broadcast.  There is no point tuning in for the first 30 minutes since it is all higher North Atlantic latitudes and lower Carribean. 


Weather Log

Having a good weather forecast is essential.  I get forecast information from multiple sources and spend at least an hour almost every day getting it.  When I'm anchored for some time or not traveling very far, I can keep a general sense for what the weather will be doing for the next several days - and logs seem unnecessary.  However, when I'm planning a passage (30 to 100 miles) to another location, it's more important to have a better grasp on the forecast.  So, at those times, I find it useful to write down the forecast for the next few days.  The information I like to record includes:

Date
Time
Name of forecaster
Forecast Area (Abacos, Florida Straits, etc.
Forecast Period (next day or two, coming week, etc.)
Expected conditions ( wind direction and speed, wave height and period, etc.)

Having this information recorded helps me to compare the different sources so I can make some plans on when and whether to go, a course to take, whether to reef sails, etc.   When I'm more nervous about the forecast, I'll record this information from 2 or 3 sources so I can compare what they are forecasting.  Ultimately, I'm the one who deals with the conditions I'm in and I seldom blame the forecast or forecaster - the decisions are MINE, not the forecaster. 

Boat Log

I believe there is actually some legal requirement to keep a boat log.  But, like other logs, I am really bad about keeping one.  I do keep fairly good records for a number of things in various locations however.  For example:
1.      Excel spreadsheets for movement (date, time, location from and to, conditions).
2.      Excel spreadsheet for taking on fuel (date, location, price, tank level before and after, gallons, etc.)
3.      Excel spreadsheet for maintenance history (date, engine hours, description of maintenance, etc.).
4.      Excel spreadsheet of major expenses (purchases for the boat).

In addition to the above, my Garmin chart plotter logs my location about every 5 seconds. This generates an electronic track with lots of little dots showing where I was at each dot.  I'm very disciplined about transferring those tracks from my chart plotter to my laptop once every two or 3 days of travel.  If I don't, it runs out of room and records over the older tracks. These tracks are a fantastic method for looking back at where you have been.  For each point, it records the date and time, your speed and course and the longitude and latitude.  I can also record these tracks using backup (phone and tablet) devices that have charting software loaded.  I sometimes use those devices to monitor my location when I'm anchored in a "blow". 

However, in the back of my mind, I sometimes feel the need to keep a paper log.  That need has seemed the strongest when I make a more significant passage (Florida to Bimini, Bimini to Berry Islands, etc.). So, in those events, I do keep a very informal paper log where I record Date, time, Lat/Lon, boat speed and course, wind speed and direction, wave direction, height and period.  I sure hope no one ever finds these logs because they will be very critical of my log taking. 

Of course, none of the above accounts for the dozens of pages of notes and lists I keep of things I need to do and have done to troubleshoot problems, phone numbers of marina's, etc. 


1 comment: