Wednesday, February 14, 2018


Wednesday February 14, 2018 - Pipe Cay Layover

I was up at 5 this morning and got a lot done.  I organized about half of the photos I've taken over the last month, edited some videos, posted 2 or 3 videos on youtube, and inserted photos and video links in my recent blogs.  For those who wade through these blogs, I do apologize for not keeping the photos and videos current with the text.  It shouldn't' be too hard to scroll back through the last couple weeks for the photos/videos you have missed.  To me, the videos really give you an idea of what I'm seeing and experiencing.

Several boats departed this morning and by noon, they were replaced by others.  I do like this anchorage.  It is exactly what I think of when I think of cruising in the Bahamas.  The coast line is mostly coral reefs that are 3 to 5 feet above water at mid tide with a few white sand beaches every so often.  I'm in an anchorage about a hundred yards from a man made channel that runs about 400 yards into a large concrete dock.   This was the location of one of the British Decca facilities that closed down in the 1980s.  It was one of several sites where the military had radio/radar installations to help with ship navigation.  It must have been replaced with some better technology (GPS?).  Wikipedia has a good article that I should have taken more time to read - maybe later (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decca_Navigator_System).  In any event, all that's left is ruins. 



Pipe Cay


No comments:

Post a Comment