Friday, April 6, 2018


Friday April 6, 2018 - Vero Beach to Eau Gallie (Melbourne).

I'm not sure but I feel like I'm actually getting the hang of cruising.  I've had a great day and I guess it is because of a number of things that all went well.  First, I was up early and left the anchorage just before 7.  I do like getting underway early.  I stopped for fuel and took on a little water.  I had about 30 miles to go to Melbourne.  I motored the first 2 or 3 miles, then let out the genoa to add another 3/4 knot.  After 30 minutes of that, I decided to shut off the motor.  My speed dropped from 6 to about 4.5 - but I was in no hurry since it really wasn't necessary to be to Melbourne by noon.  I think sailing always makes me happy - True Blue IS a sailboat, after all.  I really didn't know where I would anchor overnight.  I studied the charts and many of the Active Captain comments.  The wind was from the SE and was forecasted to shift to S then SW overnight.  I decided to try an anchorage just south of the Eau Gallie Causeway Bridge.  I had read some good things about the  area on my way south but the wind was not from a good direction then - it was better now. 

I dinghied to a small dock next to the restaurant Squid Lips.  I walked into town and the first place I visited was a bakery I had read about called "Joan's Perfect Pies".  Joan had a nice little shop with two employees busy making pie crust.  Of course, I took some photos and purchased a small apple pie (my Joan competes every year in the PA State apply pie baking contest).  That was lots of fun.  Then I walked about a block to a very nice Ace Hardware store where I got a good 3' extension cord for the Honda generator.  Next was a half block to the Intercoastal Brewery where I had a great beer "Stout-er space" (Melbourne is near the Kennedy Space Center).  While I was in the downtown area, a number of food vendors were setting up for a food and entertainment fest they have every 3rd or 4th Friday night.
I went back to the dock to check on the dink (the tide was falling) and then stopped at Squid Lips.  I debated on whether to have dinner but decided to get a T-shirt instead and mooch on their free wifi for 45 minutes.  Anyway, the whole town of Eau Gallie is pretty cool and I really enjoyed walking around. 
I got back to True Blue around 6 - with just enough sun left to take a shower without freezing.  I made a pretty good dinner. 
All combined to make a great day!
BTW, as I type this, I'm listening to some great live music just across the water at the Squid Lips restaurant.  Most of it is music I really like (Eagles, Crosby, Stills, and Nash, etc.).

"MY" Joan thought she baked the perfect pie but now knows hers aren't the only ones




No comments:

Post a Comment