Sunday, April 1, 2018


Sunday April 1, 2018 - Great Sale Cay to Ft. Pierce

I slept in till 7 this morning.  Overnight, the wind calmed down from E-12 to zero.  My plan was to leave at noon but I got the boat cleaned up and ready to go by 10 so decided to leave and just sail in the E-5 wind.  Before leaving, I installed a new zinc on the prop shaft so that took almost an hour by the time I got all my gear out and stored again.

I had my passage to Fort Pierce timed so that I would arrive between 6am and noon.  The tide was rising and the current would take me into the inlet.  Max current is 3.5 knots at the inlet so I had no interest fighting that.  To arrive at 9am, I'd leave at noon today, if I were to average 5.5 knots. 

From 10am till noon I basically drifted about 4 miles to the west and then started the engine.  I have spent the day catching up on my blogs, storing solar panels, securing the dinghy (on deck), and preparing for my overnight passage to Ft. Pierce.  It's now 5pm and I have about 25 miles to go to the west side of the Little Bahamas Bank.  After that the depths will go from 15 feet to 15,000 feet.  The wind is currently about 8 knots and I'm doing 4.5.  When the sun goes down, I'll be motoring most of the night so I'm  trying to get as many hours as possible in without using any diesel fuel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment