Saturday, April 21, 2018


Saturday April 21, 2018 - Brunswick to Frederica River

As much as I liked the town of Brunswick - and could have easily stayed a couple more days, weather is coming Monday and I didn't want to spend the $200 it would have cost to stay till Tuesday.  I like the marina too but not THAT much.  I left the marina in 20+ knots of wind and I think some of the cruisers thought I was a little nuts.  I met several people and none were leaving until the weather had passed.  In retrospect, leaving was the right thing to do although I was pretty nervous about getting past the St. Simon Sound Inlet.  The Brunswick River runs about 5 miles East to the Sound before you can make the turn north onto the ICW.  With the wind from the East, I figured it would be very rough near the inlet entrance.  I really had everything tied down for a rough ride - including a double reef in the main sail.  Fortunately, the wind was out of the NE so it wasn't coming straight into the inlet.  It was windy but the waves were never more than 2 feet.  I've had much worse on the Chesapeake.  It was another 5 miles before turning into the Frederica River and to my anchorage across from Fort Frederica.  It was a short day on the water but I was glad to have it over.

Shortly after anchoring, another solo cruiser, Wayne, paddled his dinghy over to say hello.  I had passed about 45 minutes before.  I don't pass many boats so that was unusual.  He was a really nice guy and since I had started a pot of chili, I invited him to stay for dinner.  I felt kind of bad because the chili was a mix and wasn't very tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment