Tuesday, April 24, 2018


Tuesday April 24, 2018 - Fort Frederica to Crescent River

This part of Georgia is somewhat desolate.  I'm between Brunswick near the southern border and Savannah near the northern border.  There are lots of inlets, lots of current, lots of meandering to the ICW, 6 to 8 foot tides, and lots of shoaling.  I've decided I'm only moving when the tides are rising and for an hour or two after high tides.  The tide cycle is normally about 12 hours.  That means from low tide till high tide is about 6 hours.  So, if I leave an hour after low tide (when it is rising), I'll have about 6 or 7 hours to travel without the "fear" of running aground with the tide falling and leaving me stranded.  If I would run aground when the tide is rising, there is a fair chance the rising tide would help get me off so I could continue on my way.  The fact that I ran aground 3 times just south of Fernandina a week ago has given me a new respect for the shoaling in this area - and Georgia is supposed to be worse than northern Florida. 

So, the bottom line is I'm sitting here waiting for low tide at around 11:30am today.  I'll cross the Altamaha Sound about 5 miles north of here and then  the Doboy Sound another 10 miles north of there.  Then I'll go another 10 miles north to the Crescent River where I'll anchor for the night.  That's the plan, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment