Thursday, April 19, 2018


Thursday April 19, 2018 - Fernandina FL to Brunswick GA

The town of Fernandina is about a mile south of the St. Mary's River - a fairly big inlet into the Atlantic Ocean.  The river divides Florida from Georgia.  I had thought about leaving later in the afternoon for St. Catherine's Island but my friend and fellow cruiser Keith suggested I not anchor there tonight because there was supposed to be a strong North wind that would make the anchorage and travel north the next day very rough.  So I decided to leave earlier and ride the current north from the inlet.  It worked out pretty well.  The wind was from the west and I used the jib when I could to help my speed.  Until later in the day, I made between 6 and 7.5 knots most of the time.  Considering I didn't leave Fernandina until 10:30am, I did well to make it the 36 miles to Brunswick by 5:30pm.  Of course, nothing is easy and the last mile before I made it to the Brunswick River, the depths were getting VERY shallow (like around 5 feet - two hours below low tide).  The tides in GA are 8 feet.  If I had been there an hour later, I wouldn't have made it.  I came into the Brunswick City Marina at 5:30.  It is a really nice marina with floating docks.

1 comment:

  1. When we did our Georgia passage North, we tried to always time our travel to corespond with at least a mid rising tide. Of course, depending on the phasing of the tides vs the daylight, this sometimes meant only having 4 or 5 hours of travel time per day. But we were in no hurry going North, as the longer we took, the warmer it got.

    You're a bit ahead of where we were at this time a year ago, so I imagine you're pretty chilly at times. I recommend a stopover at Charleston to enjoy the shrimp & grits and wait for it to get warmer! :)

    ReplyDelete