Friday, April 27, 2018

Thursday April 26, 2018 - Savannah to Hilton Head

Like yesterday, I had planned on getting up early to catch the high (6:20am) tide to take me over all the shoals in the first 2 to 3 hours of the day.  But late last night, I was reviewing my route in more detail and noticed a bridge about 4 miles north that has very restrictive opening times in the morning.  Based on that and wanting to do some engine checks before leaving, I decided to hold off leaving until after noon.  It was a beautiful morning - full sunshine and NO wind (the last two days have been west at 15 to 20).  I did my engine checks (I have a very small fuel leak I'm keeping my eye on). 

I keep changing my plans.  It's now 1pm.  My plan now is to leave the anchorage at 2:30, stop for fuel and water 3 miles north of here, cross the Savannah River and head north about 20 miles to anchor just south of the Port Royal Sound Inlet.  I was planning on going to Beaufort (SC) the same day and stay for a day or two but now I'm thinking about going outside at Port Royal Inlet and returning into Charleston.  I'll wait till tomorrow to see if the weather still looks as good as it does now (S-10).  If it does, I'll leave around 6pm and do an over nighter that will put me into Charleston at daybreak.  Why would I do this?  To save fuel, engine hours, and time.  Also, True Blue IS a SAILboat.

I did some boat work, waiting to leave today.  There are lots of dauphins in this area.  On my trip, I've seen lots of dauphins but I've found it very hard to photograph or film them.  They surface quickly, take a quick breath, and then disappear again.  It's hard to tell where they will resurface.  However, I'll often be below and hear them breathing.  They have a very distinctive sound when they surface and exhale.  It's one of the things I really like about cruising - being so "in touch" with nature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment