Sunday, April 22, 2018


Sunday April 22, 2018 - Layover at Fort Frederica

Ahhh. A day of R & R (rest and relaxation).  I fixed a nice breakfast and did some piddling around the boat.  I was a little close to the boat next to me (a 50' steel hull boat that reminds me of Al Capron's Salty Spray).  So I relocated to give us both a little more room - for the eventual weather.  At around 11am, I saw Wayne in his cockpit and hollered over.  He had his dinghy in the water (I had put mine on the foredeck yesterday morning before leaving Brunswick).  I told him we could use my motor on his dinghy if he wanted to go over to the dock to see Fort Frederica.  The fort is a National Monument.  I had read a little about it that didn't sound too good but there was no plan B so Wayne and I both dinghied over.  I was really glad I went because it was a really nice Monument.  It is probably 100 acres in size.  There is little remaining of the original town and the fort.  Much of what is known about it is from archeological diggings.  But they have a very nice visitors center with a great 30 minute movie.  I'm embarrassed to say I've never had much of an interest in history so I'm pretty ignorant about the wars that took place in the 1700s. So this was a great history lesson for me.  And the grounds are really pretty with all the huge live oak trees with LOTS of hanging Spanish moss.

The forecast for today was for some bad weather but it's actually been pretty nice so far (it's 6pm now).  The forecast for tomorrow is for T-Storms so I think it will be another day of R&R.

No comments:

Post a Comment