Saturday, April 7, 2018


Saturday April 7, 2018 - Eau Gallie to Titusville

Before I left on my trip, I played around with podcasts - thinking it would give me something to do while I was mindlessly motoring for hours up and down the ICW.  Well, there has been a somewhat long learning curve (that still isn't over).  But, during my trip, I've found 3 or 4 good "channels" that I've begun to enjoy listening to.  These include:
The Boat Galley with Carolyn Sherlock
Single-Handed Sailing with Matt Rutherford
On the Wind Sailing with Andy Snell

Yesterday and today, I listened to 4 or 5 hours of Matt Rutherford.  His podcasts are definitely the best I've listened to.  He is a little rough with his language but has lots of good advice for any sailor - especially those who sail solo or short-handed.  He is a good speaker and does a great job.  I'd encourage any sailor to listen to his material.  He runs an organization called Ocean Research Project and collects samples from the sea so others can study the effects of all the plastics we humans have fallen so in love with. 

I had another good day of downwind sailing and made it to Titusville at around 2pm.  The wind was blowing over 20 and my good friend Bruce got in his dinghy and helped me get hooked up to the mooring right in front of he and his wife Gayleen.  I got things packed up and the three of us took a dinghy ride into town to walk around. Before we returned, we ate at the local KFC - ahhh - to be back where junk food is so plentiful!!  We stopped at True Blue and I shared the small pie I had gotten at "Joan's Perfect Pies" the day before.  I was disappointed - it wasn't nearly as good as my "my" Joan's pies.  We had a nice chat with lots of Bahamas stories and Bruce and Gayleen hightailed it back to their boat just before a thunderstorm hit.

Bruce and Gayleen Dandt

No comments:

Post a Comment